What You Can NOT Wear to Disney Theme Parks: A Cheapskate Princess Guide

what can't you wear in a Disney park, what oiutfits are banned from Disny theme parks, can adults wear costumes to Disney World, can adults dress as Disney Characters at Disney World

Updated for 2016!

Ever see the ladies walking down Main Street, U.S.A., in pretty party dresses and high heels? I am actually amazed anyone can look somewhat presentable in the Disney parks. My family seems to arrive in Orlando when it’s hot, humid, raining, just finished flooding or about to pour. My “Disney uniform,” if you will, is a t-shirt and shorts, with my hair usually looking so un-Disney Princess-like that I wear a baseball hat. Not one of those flowery girly hats that accessorizes the matching mini-skirt and sparkly top I didn’t wear, but just a sweaty Mickey baseball hat. The hat is sweaty because I am.

While it’s easy for some princesses to pick out cute vacation outfits, have you ever thought about what you cannot wear to a Disney park?  Yes, Cinderella, there are a set of rules, but it’s really just a matter of common sense.

Editor’s Note: Thanks to Pinterest, there’s been some renewed interest in this article since it was written in 2013. Some changes have been made to rules and regulations through the years, so we’ve added those in at the bottom. Those of you new to the Cheapskate Princess…thanks for stopping by!

How Much Will a Trip to Disney’s Senses Spa at Saratoga Springs Cost You?

costumes you cannot wear to Disney World

Back in 2013, this Disney Princess Classic Snow White 2 Piece Adult Costume was a Buy It Now Ebay auction for $33.98

Disney World Guest Appearance Guidelines

Disney World reserves the right to exclude visitors to their gated attractions who wear clothing that could create a “distraction.” This policy is in effect at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs and Disney Quest (while it’s still open.)

Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

• Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)

Adults cannot arrive at the parks wearing Disney character costumes and expect to gain park entry. Halloween is an exception if adults are wearing costumes to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNNSHP.) More on this later. Overwhelming amounts of party-goers are wearing costumes for these special parties, but here is where the “distracting” part can come into play.

This Belle dress was purchased from eBay, reportedly from a fancy dress shop online and in Essex. Ladies, this is going to be distracting at MNNSHP. As short as this dress is, this is going to turn some heads, but in a bad kinda way.

adult women's Belle costume

These two dresses were from The Daily Caller.com, on a slide show titled “The 50 Worst Possible Halloween Costumes.” I might have edited that title a little bit, in case our younger audience is reading today. The slide show was 50 skimpy, low-cut, short-short women’s Halloween costumes. Several Disney character inspired costumes made their list. These would be interesting for an adult costume party, but they’re not appropriate for a Disney theme park Halloween party, all your princess bits and pieces hanging out everywhere.

Disney princess adult woman's costume

woman's Tigger Halloween costume

• Clothing that is excessively torn

• Clothing made with offensive material (ie transparent)

shirts you can not wear to Disney world

• Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.

why you cannot wear bikinis to disney World

• Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.

why you cannot dress for a wedding in Disney theme parks

• Clothing displaying offensive messages/language

you can't wear shirts with offensive language to Disney theme parks

Disney World Tips for Kids: “Free Day” Fun Activities

Gentlemen, we’re going to need more material on your bottom than this. Oh and a shirt; you’re going to need a shirt.

don't wear this to Disney World, Disney dress code,

This Minnie Mouse themed “dress” I found on Google Images on a site called WD Lingerie.com, and while probably suitable for an adult costume party at a friend’s house, this will be distracting at Mickey’s Halloween Party. It doesn’t so much look like a costume for those Disney Bounding fans, but it’s just too short, too low-cut and far too distracting to be worn to a family park.

Plus those shoes. Good Lord, you won’t make it far in those heels…

Adult woman's Minnie Mouse costume

What are the Best Shoes to Wear on a Disney World Vacation? We Asked the Fans…

I know Miley Cyrus used to be Disney’s beloved Hannah Montana, but dressing like her current image at one of their theme parks is sure to get you thrown out. This costume is distracting, both on TV as well as walking down Main Street, USA. Is this what you want standing next to your child in line for the Dumbo ride?  Don’t ask your teen sons to answer that question, because they might not tell the answer you hope for.

Miley Cyrus Disney costumes

What you need for a Disney theme park is less skin and more class. Miley’s costume scares me, so it’s sure to scare small children and grandparents on monorails everywhere. I’ve seen more material on bathing suits in Disney water parks.

Keep it classy, Orlando!

How to Pack the BEST Disney World Theme Park Bag Ever!

What about dressing for the Disney restaurants?

For the Signature Dining Restaurants, a “Business Casual” dress code is in effect:

Men should wear

• dress pants
  • jeans or dress shorts
  • a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt with collar is required
  • Jackets are optional

Women should wear

• jeans
  • skirts or dress shorts
  • a nice blouse, sweater, or a dresses

• Tank tops
  • swim suits or
  • swim cover ups
  • hats for gentlemen
  • cut offs or clothing with rips/tears
  • T-shirts with offensive language/graphics

8 Reasons Not to Go to Disney World in the Fall

What to Wear to Mickey's Halloween Party

What about the MNSSHP Halloween parties at WDW?

This is the exception to the “no adult costumes” allowed rules, because it’s a Halloween party, right?

DisneyWorld.com states that the Disney company values safety and good judgement. Disney has the right to deny admission to or remove any guests wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other guests. Anyone guests not adhering to these guidelines may be refused park entrance and/or removed from the parks unless costumes can be modified to meet the costume standards.

MNSSHP rules and regulations as of April 2016 are as follows:

• All guests may dress as their favorite character, but you can not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other guests.
  • Costumes must be family-friendly and cannot be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
  • Costumes may not contain:

*any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon

*contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another guest

Just for guests ages 13 and under:

• Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.

Just for guests ages 14 and older:

• Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged. They may be subject to additional security screening.
  • Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g. full-length Princess dresses)
  • Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
  • Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
  • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
  • Do not wear masks of any kind

This is a Disney party with a ton of small children running around, so you have to use your good judgement. None of those too-revealing outfits pictured above will probably be allowed, and you wouldn’t want to take the chance of being asked to change costumes before you are allowed inside anyway. Use this link to see Disney’s current rules and regulations.

Those of you that wound up here from Pinterest, with this article described as a humorous look at what not to wear to Disney World, desiring to see more crazeeeeeee Disney-themed costumes, then you will LOVE this article:

Ladies: Do NOT Wear These Costumes to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

Where is a great place to look for children and adult costumes at reduced prices?

How Can You Save Money on Disney World Souvenirs? One Four Letter Word…

Thanks for stopping by, and we’ll see you at your sewing machine, adding several inches of hem line to your Tigger dress for the Halloween party, just in case!

To see more of our Cheapskating Guides, use this link.

Amanda Major Cheapskate Princess

Disney’s Cheapskate Princess

Now let our vacation planners help you plan your trip, totally for FREE!

Earn $20 Rewards for Vacation Referrals!

Use this link for a free no obligation vacation quote from Erin, Julie, and Elizabeth, our Disney Vacation Planners with Destinations in Florida travel.

You can also e-mail them at cp@destinationsinflorida.com.

Amanda Major CheapskatePrincess.comAmanda Major is the creator of cheapskateprincess.com. She remembers her first visit to Magic Kingdom like it was yesterday, because she had a ham sandwich tucked in her shorts pocket. The whole family snuck in their lunch; you can’t make that kinda stuff up. 40 years worth of trips to Orlando later, she is still trying to save money on vacations.

Amanda is a Disney Vacation Club Member and Annual Pass holder. Her amazing husband, band director Carl Major, plus three teen children and two dogs keep her busy. Amanda teaches Leadership to high school seniors in the almost-costal town of Foley, Alabama. Read about her cheapskating local vacations with this link. When she’s not writing, she’s reading, walking somewhere, or paddling a kayak. Life is indeed a blast.

We hope we can help save you some some money too. Use this link for a free no obligation vacation quote from our Princess Travel Experts with Destinations in Florida travel, Erin, Julie, and Elizabeth. You can also e-mail them at cp@destinationsinflorida.com.

1. Andrea says:

What is classified as a hat for a gentleman? I mean they sell ball caps and LOTS of men gravitate towards them.

• Amanda says:

Excellent question, but they don’t specify. They seem to sell lots of clothing items they don’t allow – bathing suits, hats, etc. I think they just want those Signature restaurants to be extra classy. I would imagine they wouldn’t allow men with any sort of hat, visor, ball hat, or sombrero. Thanks for reading! ~A.

2. Christine says:

As much as they advertise the business casual for the fancier restaurants, they hardly enforce. it. Me and my husband went to California grill and were surprised to see a family sitting there in tshirts, shorts and flip flops. I guess they didnt want to turn them away.

3. Rochelle Mullin says:

I’m actually very glad that Disney has standards. I can see where dressing as a character would cause confusion in children. I also think it helps with Disney’s image not having people running around hanging out of their clothing or (almost) wearing sagging pants. (Do I really need to see the brand name and pattern on your skivvies?) It’s a very welcome change and I appreciate the higher standards.

4. colleen says:

SOme of those outfits are way to short .

5. Renea Pike says:

I love that they have rules like this. At Disneyland when we were there waiting to get in during the AM a lady was dressed as a princess, and she was extremely frustrated with the little kids asking for her autograph and for pictures, she ended up being down right rude and someone went up to the gates and told a cast member and they came out and told her she would not be allowed in the parks with that attire. I was thankful for that, a mean princess is an easy way to ruin the day for a child.

6. kimberly s says:

wow! i didnt know adults couldnt go to the park in costume. I heard that you couldn’t do cosplay or let anyone take pictures with you though. that part makes sense. I love dressing up!

7. Denise N. says:

Thanks for the info. Love that Disney has a dress code and think it is so important. It is a family place and should always be a place where parents don’t have to worry about their children being exposed to questionable attire. I can’t stand when I’m walking down the street and see people dressed inappropriately and I have to explain things to my kids when we’re just headed to the grocery store. Love Disney!!

8. lukeandjdsmom says:

I recently read and article about a young lady who went to Disney dressed as Tink and was not allowed in the park. She was apparently devastated as it was her “dream”. I understand Disney’s point of view entirely. I wouldn’t want my 3 year old running up to a perfect stranger thinking they were the character we were there to see. There unfortunately are too many strange people in the world for that to be a comfortable scenario.

9. saraj says:

i get why disney doesnt want adults dressing up but they should give a little more leway a lot of americans may not think of this but for example im canadian and have always dreamed of going to a disney park we have nothing like that here i actually had a picture from a travel guide on my wall for years as a kid but it was totally not something that i could do, my dad used to say if we won the lottery. Basically here disney is a dream only rich kids get so im now in my 20s and will finally! get to go next year and darn right im going to be acting like a kid i want the full adventure a week of make believe i dont care how old i am lol and im actually jealous of the perks for kids. i have on my style board non costume disney themed outfits for when i go so i can sorta feel like a princess and ill definately get a crown lol but yea im just saying a lil more freedom in the guidelines would mean a lot of international guests

10. sam says:

I think it is very wrong to not let adults drss up at the theme park there telling people to believe in ur dreams and to it the happiest place in the wold but hey if u look to much like Cinderella u cant come in lol yah well I guess I cant go I get stopped everywere I go beacause I look just like elsa looks like I wont be getting in the park I wish walt Disney was still alive so his park ccould be ran correctly !!!!

11. Emily says:

Which restaurants are considered Signature Dining restaurants?

12. Christine says:

For those that are upset about the rule about not being allowed to dress in costume, there are alternatives. Check out interest for “Disney inspired outfits”. So many cute looks that use regular clothes that are inspired by your favorite Disney character.

But I completely understand why they don’t want adults dressing up. Parents would be freaking out having their young child talking to someone that could be off their rocker. So as a parent, I admire that rule. Least parents know that those in costume are employees. And I would hope Disney would run some kind of check on those they hire in knowing they are not wanted by the law, or have charges against them that involve violence or similar issues. Least to say, considered safe to be around children. Since so many young children go there and are not aware of the dangers of some adults and believe those characters they see are from their beloved films.

13. Kerrie says:

I have seen some pretty short shorts on teens and adults, also some other clothes that are very revealing in the 5 years I’ve been going there.

14. Jill says:

Do they still say no swim suits? Last time I was at MK I saw a CM tell a mom that her daughter(about age 8) couldn’t wear a swim suit with a pit of shorts over it. She told her that it wasn’t a water park and that if she didn’t change she’d be asked to leave.

• Amanda says:

Good question. The DIS says “All Disney Theme Park guests are required to wear shirts and shoes at all times. Swimsuit tops are allowed when worn with other appropriate clothing.” I think if you have a shirt over a suit, you’ll be fine, but I wouldn’t go just suit top with shorts.

15. Maria says:

Hi!! We went to WDW this past October, during the Halloween party. I was actually shocked and disappointed at the costumes I saw.
    While by no means a prude, I felt that very revealing and overly scary costumes seemed out of place amoung all the family friendly magic!

I am surprised to read that Dis has these rules bc they certainly were not enforcing them at all during our stay. I saw more deep cleavage than exists in a Victoria’s Secret catalog.

Thank you for your post-it was interesting!

16. Denise says:

I was in WDW last week I could not keep track of how many people I saw with their butt cheeks hanging out of their shorts no just the teenager but adults alike. Also saw a few that the tops were cut so wide open I thought a Kardashian was there with their cleavage hanging out. Come on people it’s a theme park with lots of little kids cover up please.

17. Michelle says:

The wedding attire is not frowned upon I just took my wedding pictures there last year. And I also removed visiting and met a couple doing the same thing.

18. Courtney Lebb says:

Question: is it ok for adults to wear tutus? Last year I saw people wearing them, but im not sure with these new rules. I plan on wearing kind of mini mouse costume. Black shirt, red tutu (black leggings under) mini ears and gloves, and of course yellow shoes. I dont want to not be let into the park

• Amanda says:

Our Travel Expert Elizabeth says, “I just wore one last week. It’s fine as long as adults don’t wear a mask.” Thanks for reading!