The fanny pack. I’m really not a clothes snob, but those are two words I can’t even say with a straight face. The thought of fanny packs have struck fear into the heart of Disney fashionsitas for years. Can you imagine Cinderella with a sparkly fanny pack to hold her car keys and lipstick?
For anyone hiding out under a Prada rock, a fanny pack is a small fabric pouch secured with a zipper and worn with a strap around the hips or waist. The name “fanny pack” was derived from the fact that these bags were traditionally worn facing the rear above the “fanny.” Yet despite this highly amusing name, most people do not really wear fanny packs on their actual rear because they are easier to pick pocket there and much harder to access from that angle.
When you head off to Disney for your vacation, do you use a traditional bag or backpack, or do you opt for the fanny pack? Here are some reasons for both.
Reasons to use a fanny pack
1. They may not be as fashionable, but they are smaller than regular bags.
2. While many a shoulder has been pained by a backpack, fanny packs don’t create the same strain on the shoulders, the main reason being, they are restin’ on your fanny or thereabouts.
3. With your bag around your waist, you have you arms more free to push little Mickey in a stroller, get in and out of rides a bit easier, and hold onto monorail poles a bit easier, etc.
4. On rides where bulky backpacks are not allowed, you and your fannypack will pass through with no problem. This can definitely help some of you Disney Moms as you grab for your kids with two free hands.
Reasons you should stick to a traditional backpack
1. I will stop short of calling them ugly. I will simply say that you will not see Rianna or Lady Gaga rocking a fanny pack on any red carpet. I have yet to see a Dooney & Bourke fanny pack featured prominently in any Disney gift shop. I am waiting with curious fascination to see if they appear. The photo below offers an example of current styles, and you can make your own judgement of fashion worthy-ness. These fanny packs are available at tillys.com for $12.99 before shipping.
2. You cannot carry as many items in a fanny pack due to their smaller nature.
3. I mentioned in reason number one I would stop short of calling them ugly, so let’s just say they are not the height of Disney Princess fashion.
Why am I not carrying a fanny pack? Because Dooney & Bourke don’t currently have one available, and personally, I am holding out for style over substance. Plus as small as fanny packs are, this may be the only Disney Dooney I can actually ever afford. Check out prices for new Dooney & Bourke…
Style over substance, size and comfort over fashionista superstar status…what do you wear to Disney to haul your stuff in? If you buy enough non-brand bags, you just might be able to afford some of this Disney jewelry…or maybe not!
Ready to plan a Disney World or Universal Vacation? We can save you money!
Use this link for a free no obligation vacation quote from Erin, our Disney Vacation Planner with Destinations in Florida travel. She offers promotions like Disney Trading Pin sets, autograph books, and free Mickey Mouse ear hats for kids under age 17. We know our readers love free…
Give Erin a call at 214-697-7732, or send an e-mail to erin @ destinationsinflorida.com.
Thanks for stopping by for a journey down Disney’s unfashionable lane. The fact remains that if you ever wore a fanny pack because it was cheaper than a backpack and easier to carry, you just might be a Cheapskate Princess. Whatever it takes to get the vacation job done, right?!
Disney’s Cheapskate Princess